[cmake-developers] Need more information concerning the Trilinos test of CMake

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Oct 24 20:24:04 EDT 2017

@Matthias:

I am directly addressing you in this post because git bisect says your
recent commit is the first one that shows this issue.  More details below.

On 2017-10-24 14:47-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> Hi Brad:
>
> While waiting for your reply to my question concerning how to specify
> bootstrap script options, I decided to not specify those additional
> options for my initial try.  I submitted that (Experimental) test by hand
> using
>
> ctest -S <full pathname of my_dashboard.cmake> -V >& ctest.out1.
>
> The result (which was a build error) is given at
> <https://open.cdash.org/viewBuildError.php?buildid=5114481>.
>
> Since I essentially never get CMake build errors when building
> CMake by hand using the bootstrap method, I assume these build
> errors are due to some issue with how I set up my_dashboard.cmake.
>
> Here is the full text of that file:
>
> ________________
> # Client maintainer: airwin at users.sourceforge.net
> set(CTEST_SITE "raven home computer")
> set(CTEST_BUILD_NAME "Linux-gcc")
> #set(CTEST_BUILD_CONFIGURATION Debug)
> set(CTEST_CMAKE_GENERATOR "Unix Makefiles")
>
> # Additional variables to set before include:
> set(dashboard_model Experimental)
> set(CTEST_BUILD_FLAGS -j4)
>
> include(${CTEST_SCRIPT_DIRECTORY}/cmake_common.cmake)
> ________________
>
> The above -V results from ctest had very little detail about the
> build error.  If you don't see anything obvious I should change in
> my_dashboard.cmake, would you like me to run ctest -S again with
> -VV?
>
> For what it is worth, another difference with how I normally build
> cmake is I specified (by accident) the environment variables
>
> CXXFLAGS=-O3 -fvisibility=hidden -Wuninitialized
> CFLAGS=-O3 -fvisibility=hidden -Wuninitialized
>
> for this build while for my normal builds I just use -O3 for both flags.
>
> Also, as you can see above I did not specify
> CTEST_BUILD_CONFIGURATION, but unlike normal builds it appears for
> this script that the Debug configuration is the default.  How do I
> turn that off?

Here is some critical information concerning this build issue that I
have gained since the above post:

The version of cmake source that generated the build error for me was
commit 8c5050835 from the (current) HEAD of stage/master/head

Running the bootstrap script for that version by hand
lead to exactly the same "array used as initializer" errors as
in my dashboard submission.  Doing the same thing for v3.10.0-rc3 did not show that build error.
git bisecting between those two commits found

commit 49287eed2bf9860919a155af848e7cf49d45f504
Author: Matthias Maennich <matthias at maennich.net>
Date:   Mon Oct 9 16:25:52 2017 +0200

     CommandArgumentParser: avoid strcpy usage

as the first commit that had the bootstrap issue.

Note the rest of the results at
<https://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=CMake> appear to have no
build errors like the ones demonstrated on my (Debian Jessie) system
which is why I mentioned my g++ version above.

@Brad and Matthias:

If there is any further test you would like me to run concerning this
build issue, please let me know.

Returning to the original topic, I assume once this CMake build issue
is addressed, that my dashboard submission will start working but I
am still interested in the answers to my questions concerning how
to specify boostrap options, and how to turn off Debug builds
via my_dashboard.cmake.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin