[cmake-developers] add_custom_target(): When is VERBATIM appropriate?

Robert Dailey rcdailey.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 11:21:42 EDT 2017

This is a continuation of the discussion I had with Brad here:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/merge_requests/1019#note_286609

Hopefully we can continue the discussion here, but I'm happy to hear
from others as well.

It was stated that VERBATIM is not necessarily useful in all cases.
Are these cases documented anywhere? Basically, how would I decide
when to use it and when not? For the MR above, it was suggested that
it be used for paths related to FindDoxygen.cmake, but I'm not sure
why it was recommended other than "Improved escaping behavior".

Thanks in advance for any information to help clarify my confusion.