[cmake-developers] [Discussion] Add python support for CMakeLists

Charles Huet charles.huet at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 04:48:44 EST 2017

Hi,

I also worked on a similar prototype, and I think this should be discussed
further and set as a long-term goal for CMake.

The conclusions from the last time this came up were (from the top of my
head):

1)
Lua is the language that should be used, since it is easy to embed on all
the platforms CMake supports. All arguments about language X being better
than language Y do not matter, since all other languages do not answer to
the constraints that are CMake's, which are, as I understand them:
- being embeddable so as to not depend on the user to install something else
- support for lots of various platforms (e.g. ARM)

2)
This needs refactoring in CMake core that are ongoing (and some of this is
also needed for the cmake server if I understand correctly) but far from
finished.

The biggest problem I see is that there is no official stance from Kitware
on this subject.