[cmake-developers] [Discussion] Add python support for CMakeLists

Shmuel H, shmuelhcmake at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:23:53 EST 2017

Hello,

First of all, I have been using CMake for a few years now, it is awesome
tool, thank you.

The only problem I currently have with CMake is its language, which has not
really intended to be one. After reading a few endless discussions about
this topic, I decided to give it a try and do something practical.

My current design is using Python as an extension for the regular
CMakeLists.txt files: if there is a CMakeLists.py file, it would be loaded.

It should not be too hard to maintain, the current API design uses only 1-3
function that should be implemented in cmake.

For more information, see the [closed] merge request #389
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/merge_requests/389>.

I would be happy to hear your opinion about this idea.

Best regards,
Shmuel H.