[cmake-developers] On-going UseSWIG troubles with the official versions --SOLVED

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Apr 25 04:08:16 EDT 2017

On 2017-04-23 14:26-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> [... My]
> further testing showed the versions of FindSWIG.cmake and
> UseSWIG.cmake from CMake-3.0.2 has build failures for Java and Lua,
> and the versions from CMake-3.6.2 and 3.8.0-rc4 have build failures
> for Java even though none of these "official" versions exhibited the
> rule contamination.

I have bumped the minimum CMake version from 3.0.2 to 3.6.2 for PLplot
so I am not going to worry about the Lua issue for 3.0.2.  And it
turned out the Java issue was simply a change in naming convention for
the resulting module between my special UseSWIG.cmake and the official
ones that I needed to adjust for.  So that concludes this topic from the
PLplot perspective.

However, while researching this, I did notice one issue with the CMake
git master version of Modules/UseSWIG.cmake that the CMake maintainers
of that file might want to address which is the if...elseif...elseif
clauses establishing the PREFIX and SUFFIX properties for each
specific language language covered currently has no else clause to
set PREFIX to "" for all languages not specifically covered by the if
and elseif blocks. I suggest you do implement such an else cause to be
consistent with older versions of UseSWIG.cmake (such as my special
version) which simply set PREFIX to "" for all languages, and also
consistent with the specificially covered languages where PREFIX is
set to "" as well (except for the Java case).

Alan
Alan W. Irwin