[cmake-developers] On-going UseSWIG troubles with the official versions

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun Apr 23 17:26:43 EDT 2017

On 2017-04-23 17:10+0200 Rolf Eike Beer wrote:

>> The somewhat longer story is just at the start (fortunately for me) of
>> that simplification process, I double checked the source of both
>> FindSWIG.cmake and UseSWIG.cmake as used by PLplot, and those turned
>> out to be special cutting-edge versions recommended by one user of the
>> cmake bug tracking system from a decade (!) ago.  Oops!  Those
>> versions did continue to work for a very long time for our simple swig
>> needs, but those are obviously well past their "best buy" date, and
>> complete removal of those "special" versions from PLplot (so PLplot is
>> now using the official version of those modules that is distributed by
>> whatever CMake version a user chooses) works without the warning
>> messages for both CMake-3.0.2 AND CMake-3.8.0-rc4.
>
> So something in that range of versions has broken those old modules. It would
> be interesting to find out if that was breaking a never-really-supported case
> or something else.

Hi Rolf:

It turns out I will be following up on that question because (sigh) my
further testing showed the versions of FindSWIG.cmake and
UseSWIG.cmake from CMake-3.0.2 has build failures for Java and Lua,
and the versions from CMake-3.6.2 and 3.8.0-rc4 have build failures
for Java even though none of these "official" versions exhibited the
rule contamination.  And, of course, our special versions of
FindSWIG.cmake and UseSWIG.cmake built our Python, Java, Lua, and
Octave bindings without any issues (except for the peculiar rule
contamination between Python and _Pltk_init).  So the current status
is the official versions partly fail, and the special versions partly
fail in a completely different way (ugh).

For the official versions, the consistently good results for Python
and Octave and the lack of rule contamination that is obtained argue
that my overall goal should be to figure out how to make PLplot use
the official versions without any errors for Lua and Java.  So more
later once I get this mess untangled using many different diff results
between the various versions of FindSWIG.cmake and UseSWIG.cmake and
comparing how our CMake code uses the UseSWIG facilities for Lua and
Java compared to the rest of our swig-generated bindings.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin