[cmake-developers] gitlab or github? Which should I use for contribution?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Oct 26 11:13:24 EDT 2016

On 10/26/2016 10:05 AM, Stuermer, Michael  SP/HZA-ZSEP wrote:
> Which should I choose for future contributions?

GitLab, please.  We recently updated CONTRIBUTING.rst to prefer
it even over patches on this list.

> My feeling is I could completely abandon the github repository
> and pull and push only to gitlab.kitware.com.

Yes.

> I can't see all the other branches like maint, next, nightly-* etc.
> on the gitlab repo. Still these branches get regularly updated on
> github. This makes me feel like the gitlab repo is somehow "incomplete".

The `maint` branch has not proven useful and may be dropped one day.
The `next` and `nightly` branches are only for the nightly testing
infrastructure and not something developers need to use.

The GitHub repo is just a mirror of the cmake.org repo and has always
had the extra branches and so still does.  The GitLab repo is where
we are trying to move development so we're populating it only with the
branches needed by developers.