[cmake-developers] daemon-mode: Project structure

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Fri Jun 10 10:28:09 EDT 2016

On Fr, 2016-06-10 at 10:06 -0400, Brad King wrote:
> On 06/09/2016 11:52 AM, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> >   [== CMake MetaMagic ==[
>
> What is the purpose of this non-json wrapper in the content?
> Just part of the message protocol so that readers do not have
> to parse the json to know when the end of the message is reached
> (balanced with the start)?

At this time the daemon-mode accepts commands via stdin and responds via stdout.
The problem is that cmake will still happily send lots of output to stdout...
and in theory could even accept input from stdin. So Stephen added these CMake
MetaMagic around the JSON input/output.

It is pretty convenient for debugging and testing and we can always ask libuv to
communicate via a socket instead if that becomes necessary.

> I'd prefer a more descriptive name than "MetaMagic".

Please feel free to suggest whatever you prefer. I have no opinion on these
strings, as long as they are fixed:-)

> * What information to store about library build locations? Or maybe list
> > build
> >    artifacts instead?
>
> I prefer the latter as I've mentioned elsewhere in the related threads.

Any pointers on how to get to that information? Any example code that gets the
artifact list?

I do not think this information is particularly worthwhile to add, but am open
to change this.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der