[cmake-developers] CMake daemon-mode

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 04:05:06 EDT 2016

On 06/07/2016 11:42 AM, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
>> On 06/06/2016 11:39 AM, Tobias Hunger wrote:
>>
>>> A big chunk of Stephen's work has not even landed in my branch yet. Since cmake
>>> reformated all the source in the meantime it is a bit tedious to apply patches
>>> from his tree and I have simply not yet needed the changes as I did not venture
>>> where he went yet.
>> See commit v3.6.0-rc1~54^2~2 (82df6deaaf).  Its commit message explains
>> how to rebase across the style transition.  If you rebase the original
>> "cmake-daemon" branch on that then we can rewrite the style to make
>> cherry-picking later easier.
> When I rebased my own branches across the style transiton, I found the
> process quite straight forward.
> I can help with the style transition if someone rebases to 82df6deaaf.
>
> When I tried to rebase steve's work, it was not the style transition
> but changes like the following that I struggled with:
> https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/commit/563bf9dd8a207e04697a92d8bcd239f52400b355

I have rebased it and force pushed my github branch (there are a few
rebasing mistakes which I'll remove later).

We hit issues at work that different clang-format versions have
different behavior. There we have the luxury of providing particular
binaries that every developer uses to get identical results and no diff
confusion.

I don't know how to solve that in CMake though. It could become an issue
in the future when some contributors use clang-3.9 and others 3.8. Maybe
clang-format binaries should be in the repo.

Also, it seems that clang-format is not run by CI. The ProductBuild
stuff doesn't seem to be clang formatted.