[cmake-developers] Is there a way to disable soname versioning?

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:09:28 EST 2016

This has been an ongoing nuisance for me, so I thought I would finally
ask. Is there a way I can force soname versioning without modifying
everybody's CMake build scripts?

The main problem is Android. Using soname versioning on Android will
basically cause things to break at runtime. It would be nice if the
CMake commands that set the version would be ignored in the Android
case. (I know Android is not officially supported by CMake and
cross-compile toolchains are being used, but if I knew how to put this
in the toolchain, that would be a big help.)

My secondary problem is I am trying to ship self-contained binary apps
on Linux. This means I ship my own copies of libraries. The soname
versioning in this case just gets in the way (the build and packaging
scripts get harder since file names are variable). I would love a way
to just globally tell CMake to not apply versioning as some top-level
option.

(My complaints probably extend to Darwin versioning too, though it
hasn't come up as often for me.)

Thanks,
Eric