[cmake-developers] Drop support for older Xcode versions?

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Feb 18 18:25:10 EST 2016

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:25:31 -0800, Eric Wing said:

>On 2/9/16, Davy Durham <ddurham at davyandbeth.com> wrote:
>> I'll say that in my line of work, we still have to support OS X 10.6
>> (just dropped 10.5 support) .. And we're doing this at Apple's own
>> request/demand!  It's not fun.  I've had to hack tools around to get
>> somewhat newer tool chains to continue to work, but it's been /great/
>> that cmake hasn't been an obstacle in this endeavour.
>
>Supporting 10.6...this is what I'm referring to. In Apple's world,
>this means you are on 10.11 using Xcode 7.3 and setting the Deployment
>target to 10.6.
>
>I know for hard cases, it is never that simple, but do you really need
>to be on 10.6 to develop for 10.6?

As you say, you can develop on newest and set old deployment target.

But when you run into a bug that only reproduces on 10.6, what then?  The nicest is to build & debug on 10.6 so you can debug it.  This means being able to use the (newest) Xcode that supports that OS.

Again, I don't care about 10.6 per se, but substitute 10.x for whatever the oldest you care about is, and the above still applies.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com