[cmake-developers] Drop support for older Xcode versions?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Feb 8 10:31:21 EST 2016

On 02/07/2016 01:54 PM, Michael Jackson wrote:
>> What is the oldest version of OS X that CMake actually runs on?
>> I guess I would support the last version of Xcode that actually
>> ran on that platform. In reality this is probably 10.6.8?
[snip]
On 02/08/2016 10:21 AM, Sean McBride wrote:
> What's the oldest version of Xcode that CMake currently supports?

We still have nightly testing on OS X 10.4 with Xcode 2.5.  It was
in support of the i386/ppc universal release binary but that was
dropped as of CMake 3.4.  Now it is really only "just in case" and
because the machine running the tests has not died yet.  I'm not
opposed to dropping Xcode generator support for it since anyone
with such an old machine can always use the makefile generator.

Sean, it looks like you are still running nightly tests on OS X
10.6 with Xcode 4.2:

  https://open.cdash.org/viewNotes.php?buildid=4226138

and OS X 10.5 with Xcode 3.1:

  https://open.cdash.org/viewNotes.php?buildid=4226202

but perhaps do not need the actual Xcode IDE generator to work.

> Personally, I think supporting Xcode 5.0+ would be reasonable at this point.
> It was released about 2.5 years ago and can run on OS X 10.8.

Given Apple's encouragement of developers to always update I think
that would be reasonable for the Xcode IDE generator.  Xcode older
than 6 or so will not even run on OS X 10.11.  Let's give this
thread a while to see if anyone else has feedback.