[cmake-developers] Developer tasks - Daemon mode

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:09:07 EST 2016

The Daemon mode for CMake is online here:

 https://github.com/steveire/CMake/tree/cmake-daemon

The commit messages and some of the commits contain indications of things
that need to be done before such a mode could be introduced into CMake, such
as writing a new failsafe parser and implementing some of the features in
the branch so that they work well in all cases.

I won't repeat those tasks in a list here, but they prevent the Daemon from
becoming upstreamable.

There are other tasks which prevent the Daemon being upstreamable to cmake
proper. These are not tasks for raw-beginners:

1) Using libuv filesystem notification to re-generate the cmState when
  buildsystem files change (and notifying the client through the protocol
  about resulting changes in the generated buildsystem).  This is by far the
  most essential.

2) Prune state which is created while operating. The parts of the protocol
  which execute some cmake code (eg, debugging and code completion) create
  cmState::Snapshots without cleaning them up afterward (or possibly using
  an LRU cache if such a thing would make sense).

I can provide guidance to anyone wishing to complete them, or any of the
tasks described in the cmake-daemon branch.