[cmake-developers] cmake -E capabilities [attempt 2]

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Aug 4 10:25:20 EDT 2016

On 08/03/2016 09:52 AM, Brad King wrote:
> I've revised Tobias's commits to rename NewFactory to GetFactory and
> explain some rationale in the commit message:
>
>  Refactor extra generator registration to use factories
>  https://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=a354f60c
>
>  Report more information about extra generators in generator factories
>  https://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=cd52a225
[snip]
On 08/02/2016 02:30 PM, Brad King wrote:

> Once that tests cleanly I'll merge it to `master` and then we can
> rebase the remaining changes on it.

The above commits are now in `master`.  Please rebase the rest of
the topic.

Please update Help/manual/cmake.1.rst to document the
`-E capabilities` option.  Also please add a case to
Tests/RunCMake/CommandLine/RunCMakeTest.cmake to at least
run `cmake -E capabilities` as a smoke test.

Is there a JSON convention for documenting schema?  We will need
to be able to document the capabilities output format as well as
the protocol formats of cmake server mode.