[cmake-developers] RFC: LLVM community CMake documentation

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Apr 28 09:19:37 EDT 2016

On 04/27/2016 04:39 PM, Chris Bieneman wrote:
> attached the working draft of my documentation

Good work!  Most of it looks great.  Here are minor some comments.

Please add a link to the cmake-language(7) manual:

  https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.5/manual/cmake-language.7.html

somewhere.  It has a lot of useful information, though is more of a
reference than an introduction.  It also has a formal grammar.

> .. code-block:: console
>
>    cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.2)

I think you can specify "cmake" as the code block language here.
CMake uses rst/sphinx for our docs and we do this frequently.

> One of the few examples is PATH variables, which CMake does have some special
> handling for.

This special handling is for both PATH and FILEPATH and is explained
at the end of this section:

 https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.5/command/set.html#set-cache-entry

> CMake provides a module `CMakeParseArguments` which provides an implementation
> of advanced argument parsing.

FYI, in CMake 3.5 and above cmake_parse_arguments is a native command:

 https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.5/command/cmake_parse_arguments.html

and the CMakeParseArguments module is an empty placeholder for compatibility.