[cmake-developers] <LINK_LIBRARIES> for C# language support

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Apr 5 10:03:20 EDT 2016

On 04/04/2016 04:08 PM, Adam Treat via cmake-developers wrote:
> I have been working on improving the cmake language module for C# found here:

Thanks for working on this.  I'm adding Michael Stuermer to Cc who has
been working on support in the VS IDE generators:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/15753/focus=16064

> One thing that has me a bit flummoxed is how to implement the following:
>
> CMAKE_CSharp_CREATE_SHARED_LIBRARY
> CMAKE_CSharp_CREATE_SHARED_MODULE
> CMAKE_CSharp_CREATE_STATIC_LIBRARY
>
> in CMakeCSharpInformation.cmake.  In C# libraries need to have all symbols resolved
> at creation time just like executables and this means I need access to the LINK_LIBRARIES
> property to correctly implement the above.  However, it seems this property is empty
> for the above.

It is expected to be available for at least the shared/module link rules.
See cmMakefileTargetGenerator::CreateLinkLibs's implementation and its
call sites.  Also see cmLocalGenerator::ExpandRuleVariable for where
the placeholders like <LINK_LIBRARIES> get expanded.