[cmake-developers] ninja/make compilation response file

Dmitry Ivanov Dmitry.Ivanov at king.com
Tue Apr 5 08:07:12 EDT 2016

>Teaching the Ninja generator about response files for object file compilation would be the way to go (and support for RC as well would be good since the logic is likely the same).

I will time box it and see if I can do it in few days, if not we need to figure out if it can be done like a sponsored feature or something.
Actually same story with make file generators, doesn't look like they support response files for obj either.

>There was work to reduce the size of the generated build.ninja file.
>More work could be done, but the projects I was looking at would only get marginal improvements from other techniques (though other projects with different flag quantities might >show other things to improve). What version of CMake are you using?

3.5.1 atm, 84 mb takes around 3-4 seconds for ninja to parse on my machine, which makes ninja slightly useless an fast incremental builds tool, which is a shame.

--Ben