[cmake-developers] [CMake 0016045]: OS X system GLUT should always be preferred to X11's

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Fri Apr 1 08:31:42 EDT 2016

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
https://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=16045
Reported By:                ilovezfs
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   16045
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2016-04-01 08:31 EDT
The Homebrew "bottle" build server happens to have X11 installed, but we'd
prefer not to force an unnecessary X11 dependency on users. However, by default
gl2ps will automatically link against X11's libglut.dylib if X11 happens to be
installed. Therefore, I'm having to pass
"-DGLUT_glut_LIBRARY=/System/Library/Frameworks/GLUT.framework" to cmake to
avoid creating bottles that break on systems without X11. It would be nice if
gl2ps used the system GLUT by default even if X11 happens to be installed
without our having to manually intervene.

This is caused by cmake's find_package(GLUT) which prefers X11's GLUT to the
system GLUT if X11 happens to be installed. Instead CMake should always using
the system GLUT unless someone deliberately intervenes to choose X11's,
regardless of whether X11 is installed or not installed.

Steps to Reproduce:
Use find_package(GLUT) on a system that happens to have Xquartz (X11) installed.

Additional Information:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/pull/50601/
http://www.geuz.org/pipermail/gl2ps/2016/000433.html

Issue History