[cmake-developers] [CMake] Visual Studio <Version> <Arch> - Ninja Generator

James Johnston JamesJ at motionview3d.com
Fri Sep 11 11:54:22 EDT 2015

Right, something like that.

Another motivation: if somebody ever wanted to write a generator for
Embarcadero C++ Builder projects... guess what format the project files are
in... MSBuild...  this otherwise has nothing to do with VStudio...

Again, not something I'm working on right now but just putting some ideas
out there. :)

> > it would be useful to have Visual Studio available as an "Extra" CMake
> > generator.  For example, specification of "Visual Studio 2015 - Ninja"
>
> This functionality sounds reasonable but the name of the extra/generator
> pair looks funny when spelled out that way.  We should consider having
> another way to specify the extra generator.

This name is consistent with the other extra generators:
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.3/manual/cmake-generators.7.html#id12

"[Extra] generator names have the form <extra-generator> -
<main-generator>."

But I agree it is just confusing at this point.  Maybe this format could be
deprecated in favor of a new cmake.exe switch to specify an extra generator.

Best regards,

James Johnston