[cmake-developers] [CMake] Visual Studio <Version> <Arch> - Ninja Generator

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Sep 9 11:00:07 EDT 2015

On 09/02/2015 03:34 PM, James Johnston wrote:
> useful if the Visual Studio generators in CMake were refactored somewhat

Even without the C# motivation I think factoring out a "MSBuild" generator
infrastructure internally will be useful.  Currently we call it "VS 10"
because it happened to be the first version to use MSBuild project files.
Are you proposing to have some kind of internal object model for the MSBuild
project files to separate their construction from the actual generation?

> it would be useful to have Visual Studio available as an "Extra" CMake
> generator.  For example, specification of "Visual Studio 2015 - Ninja"

This functionality sounds reasonable but the name of the extra/generator
pair looks funny when spelled out that way.  We should consider having
another way to specify the extra generator.