[cmake-developers] use-generator-target topic regressed buildsystem properties

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Sep 10 16:12:07 EDT 2015

On 09/10/2015 04:03 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> One possible fix to the problems is to avoid allowing empty
>> values to be appended at all as is done for non-buildsystem
>> properties.
>
> I'm sure that's possible. Is it acceptable to fix it?

Yes.  The inconsistency with non-buildsystem properties is a
worthwhile fix anyway.  Empty entries in buildsystem properties
have no semantic meaning (except perhaps the property value
being exactly the empty string as against unset), so there should
be no compatibility problem.

Please look at fixing that and reference in the commit message
when it first changed behavior.  This will of course involve
updating the expected output in the test cases I added.  Then
the new tests for directory properties I attached at the start
of this thread can be added too.

> Another possible fix is to store a vector of sentinal positions for each
> buildsystem property.

This could be done in addition to the above fixes, but may not
be necessary unless needed to support empty property values.

P.S. Please refrain from further refactoring until post-3.4
development opens.  I'd like to get existing regressions fixed
without risking new ones in the weeks leading up to the freeze.