[cmake-developers] use-generator-target topic regressed buildsystem properties

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Sep 9 11:02:12 EDT 2015

Steve,

The topic merged here:

 Merge topic 'use-generator-target'
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=6e5953e9

regressed handling of the buildsystem-aware properties.
I fixed some of the problems and added test cases.  Please
see these commits:

 cmTarget: Fix buildsystem property empty value set and append operations
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=cf74fc24

 cmTarget: Fix memory leak when SOURCES property is cleared
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=407ff47e

 Tests: Cover set_property for buildsystem target properties
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=b9856862

However, additional problems remain.  I've attached updates
to the test suite that demonstrate the failures.  The problem
is distinguishing an appended empty value from the empty
sentinel values used in cmState.

As shown by the USER_PROP test cases added above and in the
attached patch, the behavior for non-buildsystem properties
is to never append empty values.  That was changed at some
point in the past for buildsystem property values when we
started recording internal data structures to store them.
One possible fix to the problems is to avoid allowing empty
values to be appended at all as is done for non-buildsystem
properties.  However, we still need to support setting a
property to exactly the empty string.

Please take a look.