[cmake-developers] RFC: CMake precompiled header support and custom compiler based implementation

James Johnston johnstonj.public at codenest.com
Fri Oct 30 01:48:29 EDT 2015

project

> which needs it.

> But I agree that we should get it into CMake, even if it does not

> support

all

> generators yet.

> Support for additional generators can be added successively.

> I will rebase my branch to master on the weekend, ie port it to

> cmGeneratorTarget.

> Then you are free to help with review, testing, and additional generators.

> Which generators are the most important for you?

I'd also love to see some progress on PCH support, though I haven't had much
time recently... I'd be quite happy to test however with the below compilers
and generators - all of which we would use PCH support with:

Generators:

* Ninja

* Visual Studio 2008 (eventually 2015)

* Although we're not currently using it, CMake would be pretty broken
without supporting: Unix Makefiles

Compilers:

* Visual C++ 2008 (eventually 2015): both Ninja and VS generators

* Embarcadero bcc32 compiler: Ninja

* GCC: Ninja

Best regards,

James Johnston