[cmake-developers] Add command line options for deprecation message control

Michael Scott michael.scott250 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 18:59:06 EDT 2015

> that appear to be related to warning=>error upgrade options.
> Didn't we just decide to not tackle this part yet?

They were part of the original patch a while ago, so I left them in when
I re-applied the proposed patch. Did you want to apply the changes piece
by piece, or just the review the changes piece by piece? I can tailor
the proposed patch(s) to suit either I imagine.

I realised that the patch has some somewhat conflicting changes in it,
in that the cmMessageCommand code checks the Makefile for the variables,
but the cmake code checks the cache. So when the user say turns on
deprecated errors in the CMakeLists file, cmMessageCommand sets the
messages as errors, but then the cmake code suppresses the message. So I
need to fix that in the subsequent proposed patch(s). I was thinking of
adding a boolean flag parameter to IssueMessage, default to false, to
signal the method to not suppress messages based on the state of the
CMake variables, but there's perhaps better ways to do this.

Cheers,
Michael