[cmake-developers] use-correct-rcc-command-option topic

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 14:55:25 EDT 2015

Brad King wrote:

> Steve,
>
> In regard to:
>
>  Revert "cmQtAutoGenerators: Fix rcc invocation for Qt 5.0 and 5.1
>  (#15644)" https://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=08147a9a
>
> The proper fix is to detect whether rcc supports --list or -list and user
> the preferred one based on the version available, not to revert to the
> broken state.

I consider CMake 3.4 to be the broken state. The patch reverted in that
topic removed the use of a documented command line option and added the use
of an undocumented command line option.

I don't see any reason to add maintenance burden for long-obsolete Qt
versions to new CMake versions. Maintenance burden in CMake is already far
beyond reasonable :). Adding conditions which are not tested, and which must
be maintained in future refactoring is the mistake.

> I will not merge the topic as-is.

That's up to you. I wanted to stick my pin in the map on this as the person