[cmake-developers] CXX_STANDARD and linking

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:22:02 EDT 2015

Brad King wrote:

> I don't want CMake to generate broken builds by default.  We *know* it
> goes wrong on Solaris and cannot possibly work without user intervention.

Just some more on this:

The CMake 3.3 behavior of this is the same as it has always been since
introducing compile-features for SolarisStudio.

Any users aware that compile-features only affect compilation will have
added the link flag themselves with one of the already available mechanims.
Such users will be affected by this CMake 3.4 change.

For the build of CMake itself on Solaris, we should probably add the
required link flag until there is a porcelian feature for it (in
CompileFlags.cmake?).

I'm also not confident in commit v3.4.0-rc1~10^2~1 (Features: Fix C++98
flags on Oracle SolarisStudio 12.4 on Linux, 2015-09-30) because it will
mean that 'c++98 mode' on Solaris 12.4 is forced to use libstdc++ instead of
stlport4 or libCstd (rougewave). I'm not sure of the implications of that.

So, it might be best to revert that commit and its parent.