[cmake-developers] Add command line options for deprecation message control

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jul 17 10:43:30 EDT 2015

On 07/15/2015 05:08 PM, Michael Scott wrote:
> Looking at the cmMessageCommand::InitialPass and
> cmake::PrintMessagePreamble code, if we want to mirror the deprecation
> message behaviour, I'm tempted to suggest we also modify the message
> mode "AUTHOR_WARNING" to be "AUTHOR" instead. It would make the mode
> clearer on it's new behaviour and allow the code to be more consistent
> with regards to dev and deprecated.
>
> I imagine this might be a big user affecting change though, so it might
> be better to not do that and just make AUTHOR_WARNING cause fatal error
> messages depending on the state of the associated cmake variables. What
> are your thoughts on this?

I think the name "AUTHOR_WARNING" is fine even after these changes
because the new options explicitly request to make these warnings
into errors.  C++ compiler "#pragma warn"-like options are spelled
"warn" but can still be errors with the right options.

> P.S. Sorry my previous email broke the message threading, I'm replying
> in a different way this time but please let me know if I'm still
> breaking the message threading.

It still breaks the threading.  Your first few responses
(e.g. on 2015-06-24) were threaded correctly.