[cmake-developers] Add command line options for deprecation message control

Michael Scott michael.scott250 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 17:08:12 EDT 2015

Looking at the cmMessageCommand::InitialPass and
cmake::PrintMessagePreamble code, if we want to mirror the deprecation
message behaviour, I'm tempted to suggest we also modify the message
mode "AUTHOR_WARNING" to be "AUTHOR" instead. It would make the mode
clearer on it's new behaviour and allow the code to be more consistent
with regards to dev and deprecated.

I imagine this might be a big user affecting change though, so it might
be better to not do that and just make AUTHOR_WARNING cause fatal error
messages depending on the state of the associated cmake variables. What
are your thoughts on this?

P.S. Sorry my previous email broke the message threading, I'm replying
in a different way this time but please let me know if I'm still
breaking the message threading.

Cheers,
Michael