[cmake-developers] [CMake] How to set _default_ timeout for the ctest command? (fwd)

David Cole DLRdave at aol.com
Tue Dec 15 12:08:11 EST 2015

Thanks, Ben. That was gonna be my 2 cents, too:

If I set a test property to have a 1, 5 or 10 second timeout, then I
want the test to timeout if it takes any longer than that. I do this
on tests which must execute quickly even in a loaded CPU scenario. I
would not want the global timeout to take precedence in this case and
have my performance critical test taking much longer than it's
supposed to, and then pass anyway with no timeout indication.

More use cases to consider.

Although I do agree, a command line specified option should take
precedence over the global variable/property.

(Just like the test's timeout property should take precedence over the
global too: it's more local in scope, and should be preferred unless
there's a **new** mechanism introduced to change the existing
behavior.)