[cmake-developers] [CMake] How to set _default_ timeout for the ctest command? (fwd)

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Dec 15 11:20:23 EST 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 23:01:31 -0800, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On the cmake general list, Brad recently answered my original query on this
> subject and appears to agree with me that that ctest --timeout
> option should always have the highest priority, i.e., override any
> timeout set by the project such as the above TIMEOUT property.  If the
> consensus continues to be that is the desired behaviour it appears
> some CMake/CTest code changes will be necessary to change to that
> behaviour.

Hmm. I don't know. Some tests have timeouts set because they either *do*
take that long or *shouldn't* take as long as the timeout (e.g., those
that might deadlock).

I think, instead, that --min-timeout and --max-timeout options might be
better which allow you to say "this machine is slow; tests may take
longer (max(property, option))" or "this machine is fast, clamp down the
timeout (min(property, option))". Alternatively, a --timeout-scale
option to multiply all timeouts in properties might be better.

--Ben