[cmake-developers] ExternalProject: Use native paths as substitute for directory tokens

Kislinskiy, Stefan s.kislinskiy at Dkfz-Heidelberg.de
Mon Aug 31 09:35:44 EDT 2015

As there is already a patch for such a genex in bug 15509 and the discussion in 5939 (both linked below in Brad's reply) started 7 years ago... It would be a great pity to let this issue seep away again. What can I do to help fixing this finally?

Stefan

-----Original Message-----
From: cmake-developers [mailto:cmake-developers-bounces at cmake.org] On Behalf Of CHEVRIER, Marc
Sent: Freitag, 28. August 2015 10:07
To: Brad King; cmake-developers at cmake.org
Subject: Re: [cmake-developers] ExternalProject: Use native paths as substitute for directory tokens

Offering generator-expressions is a very good idea because it offers a global solution to this problem.

Now regarding the name of the generator, may be TO_NATIVE_PATH is not judicious, (even if problems explained in http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=5939 are, in my point of view, linked to platforms not well handled rather than wrong semantic of TO_NATIVE_PATH) but PATH_FOR_SHELL is, as well, ambiguous at least for two reasons:
* commands defined in add_custom_command, for example, are directly executed without any shell evolved
* A system can have multiple shells supporting different paths syntax. For example, on windows, my shell is tcsh which handle paths with ‘/‘ rather than ‘\'

May be, TO_SYSTEM_PATH or TO_HOST_SYSTEM_PATH make more sense…

Marc