[cmake-developers] Generating buildsystem metadata from CMake

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 13:08:37 EDT 2015

Ben Boeckel wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 14:32:51 +0200, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> However, there are other users
>> of the compile-commands.json, so it will remain and the feature for
>> generation of it will not be deprecated.

Or, to be more clear - it doesn't need to be deprecated as a result of this
discussion or feature.

> Hmm. I have a branch which refactors some things in the build.ninja file
> into Ninja-level variables which then means that CMake itself doesn't
> know the command line anymore.

AFAICT, CMake does still know the command line in your output-target-flags-
once-in-ninja branch.

You just need to compute two outputs - once for writing the Ninja file
(containing variables), and again for writing the content for the metadata
(not containing variables), right?

> And just to be sure (since I have been only loosely following the thread
> in chunks), writing this file will be completely optional right?

Yes, it will be possible to run cmake without generating metadata.