[cmake-developers] Generating buildsystem metadata from CMake

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon Apr 6 11:35:09 EDT 2015

On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 14:32:51 +0200, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> On 04/02/2015 10:29 AM, Anton Makeev wrote:
> > Just to make sure, you mentioned that this file should be deprecated with this new metadata.json,
> > is that correct?
>
> I'm not sure I mentioned that, just that it's an externally defined
> format and we didn't want to try to extend it, but instead define a
> different format. The new format will hopefully make it unnecessary for
> IDEs to parse the compile-commands.json. However, there are other users
> of the compile-commands.json, so it will remain and the feature for
> generation of it will not be deprecated.

Hmm. I have a branch which refactors some things in the build.ninja file
into Ninja-level variables which then means that CMake itself doesn't
know the command line anymore. I was using `ninja -t compdb` to provide
the compile_commands.json file. This will conflict with writing out this
file :/ .

That branch has some nice performance improvements (since the Ninja file
reduced its size considerably), but maybe I could plumb it around this
and have it only available without this extra build info?

And just to be sure (since I have been only loosely following the thread
in chunks), writing this file will be completely optional right?

--Ben