[cmake-developers] Extracting target metadata, IDE integration

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Sep 21 16:27:49 EDT 2014

On Friday, September 19, 2014 21:53:40 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Friday, September 19, 2014 13:44:45 Brad King wrote:
>
> > * Don't IDEs want to know the list of source files so they can
> >
> >   be used for editing?
> >
> > I haven't looked at what the Extra generators produce in a
> > while but since they are meant for IDEs they would be a good
> > reference for the information needed.
>
> typically a list of targets, the command to build each target, source files
> for each target, used include dirs and defines (-D) for code completion.
>
> > However, AFAIK there
> > is not an extra generator for a multi-config generator.
>
> Yes.

also after reading the other replies, I still don't understand why this
shouldn't be a generator.
If I understand correctly, this is for people who simply run cmake and later
on want to use kdevelop on the existing build tree.

How about simply adding support for an environment variable like
"CMAKE_GENERATOR", which, when set, will be used as generator as long as no
other generator has been set via -G ?
KDE developers could set this variable, still run their build scripts, and
later on use kdevelop.

I have a hard time imagining a user who uses let's say Eclipse with the
Eclipse generator, who then suddenly wants to use kdevelop on his build tree.

Alex