[cmake-developers] What is necessary for including fixes from current development branch to official release

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Fri Sep 19 09:41:16 EDT 2014

Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 1:59 AM, Jiri Malak <malak.jiri at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I did a several fixes to CMake related to Open Watcom which were
>> accepteed
>> to current development
>> branch a few month ago.
>> Up to now they were not included to official version 3.0 branch.
>> What I must do to be include or I doing something wrong?
>
> I'd like to hear others opinions, but what I've done is once one of my
> patches is accepted, as long as it applies cleanly to the current
> release
> (and since all I mess with are modules that's usually the case) then I
> just
> email the Fedora package maintainer and he applies it within Fedora.
>
> You didn't mention if you were on Linux or Windows but if you're
> running a
> Linux distro you could probably do the same.

While I'm not too happy with the current situation either I don't think
this is a good idea as it creates a hard to verify "zoo" of CMake
versions with the same version number, but different behavior. This
approach is is good for distro-specific patches, something like "we ship
a new Python that the upstream FindPython*.cmake does not find by
default" or "we put our headers in a strange location", but I think that
doing this for other stuff has the danger of making the Fedora packages
some sort of shadow-upstream.

Eike