[cmake-developers] Alternate if() without implicit variable expansion

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Sep 4 11:13:59 EDT 2014

On 09/04/2014 10:51 AM, Nils Gladitz wrote:
> I am rather used to "if()" as well but safe_if()/if_noexpand() might
> still be more readable than the workarounds that people are using now to
> get something close to the expected behavior with regular if() [1].

If "if()" is never fixed people will still run into that and be
confused.  Adding another command will leave people with the
decision about which one to use in what cases and be even more
confused.

As I have explained every other time it has come up there is exactly
one way to fix it: a policy that makes expansion happen only for
unquoted arguments.  Someone just has to do it.