[cmake-developers] VS 2013 WindowsCE support (was: VS12: Allow specifying an installed SDK as target platform for the generator.)

Bach, Pascal pascal.bach at siemens.com
Tue Sep 2 11:27:10 EDT 2014

Hi Brad

> In combination with your related issue report:
>
>  WindowsCE: /SUBSYSTEM and /ENTRYPOINT does not end up in the
> generated Visual Studio project
>  http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15115
>
> it looks like a bit of work is needed to get Windows CE support
> working with VS 2013.  Also, since the work was done for VS 2012,
> our infrastructure for cross-compiling with Visual Studio generators
> has improved.  Rather than putting the target platform in the
> generator name (leading to a vs-version/platform combinatorial
> explosion), we should now be able to activate cross-compiling
> with -DCMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME=WindowsCE or -
> DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=...
> while still using -G "Visual Studio 12 2013" as the generator.
> This will be the preferred approach for new upstream support.

I think proposal would make things cleaner. I think specifying only -DCMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME=WindowsCE wouldn't be enough or how does VS know what compiler to use?
I would like it if we had a toolchain file for each SDK but then I'm not clear what it contains.
In this toolchain file do we specify compiler etc like it is done for gcc for example, or would the toolchain file contain a variable like CMAKE_VS_SDK pointing to one of the installed SDKs? I'm not yet familiar with the VS build environment .

> I can help guide anyone interested in making the needed changes.

I might be able to invest some time into this so some guidance would be welcome ;)

Pascal