[cmake-developers] VS 2013 WindowsCE support (was: VS12: Allow specifying an installed SDK as target platform for the generator.)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Sep 2 11:00:19 EDT 2014

On 08/28/2014 08:52 AM, Pascal Bach wrote:
> This brings the behavior of Visual Studio 2013 in line with the one of Visual Studio 2012.

In combination with your related issue report:

 WindowsCE: /SUBSYSTEM and /ENTRYPOINT does not end up in the generated Visual Studio project
 http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15115

it looks like a bit of work is needed to get Windows CE support
working with VS 2013.  Also, since the work was done for VS 2012,
our infrastructure for cross-compiling with Visual Studio generators
has improved.  Rather than putting the target platform in the
generator name (leading to a vs-version/platform combinatorial
explosion), we should now be able to activate cross-compiling
with -DCMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME=WindowsCE or -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=...
while still using -G "Visual Studio 12 2013" as the generator.
This will be the preferred approach for new upstream support.

I can help guide anyone interested in making the needed changes.