[cmake-developers] [Review request] Topic FindPkgConfig_Extend-PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 19:47:41 EST 2014

On 05/03/14 17:36, Brad King wrote:
> On 03/04/2014 10:07 PM, Daniele E. Domenichelli wrote:
>> Follow up to this thread:
>>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/8369
>>
>> Please review the topic FindPkgConfig_Extend-PKG_CONFIG_PATH.
>
> Nice!  Please revise the documentation to use proper cross-reference
> syntax to link to other variables instead of just inline literals:
>
>  ``SOME_VARIABLE`` => :variable:`SOME_VARIABLE`

Done.

I noticed that the CMAKE_FRAMEWORK_PATH and CMAKE_APPBUNDLE_PATH don't
have documentation, but to be honest I don't know exactly what's the
meaning of these two variables, I just saw that find_package was using
them, so I thought it was reasonable to use them here too.

Am I supposed to add documentation for the variable
PKG_CONFIG_USE_CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH, that is checked by this patch? If yes,
in Help/variable/PKG_CONFIG_USE_CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.rst,
Help/prop_gbl/PKG_CONFIG_USE_CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.rst or in which other file?

> Also it looks like some logic is taken from GNUInstallDirs.  Is there
> enough in common to try to factor that out into a helper module?

I just noticed that there is already a global property
FIND_LIBRARY_USE_LIB64_PATHS. Perhaps there should be one similar for
debian and derivatives (CMAKE_LIBRARY_USE_LIB_ARCHITECTURE_PATHS?)
Both GNUInstallDirs and FindPkgConfig could then benefit from them...

Also at the moment on platforms that use lib64 the patch check both lib
and lib64, perhaps it should check lib64 only? But locally installed
libraries usually just install in <prefix>/lib, not lib64... But perhaps
lib64 be searched first... What do you think?

Cheers,
 Daniele