[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014955]: Support install of external projects, with component-like selection

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Wed Jun 4 16:07:58 EDT 2014

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                mwoehlke
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   14955
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            N/A
Severity:                   feature
Date Submitted:             2014-06-04 16:07 EDT
While considering ways to make a useful 'install' target for a superbuild-like
project (Slicer), JC and I decided it would be nice if CMake had a mechanism
similar to CPACK_INSTALL_CMAKE_PROJECTS.

We propose CMAKE_INSTALL_CMAKE_PROJECTS, a list of sets of three values: build
directory, project name, install prefix. If set, when the install script is
generated, it would include the install script of each such project (i.e.
"include(<build_dir>/cmake_install.cmake)") after first modifying the install
prefix as specified. (An empty or relative prefix would be relative to the
parent install prefix.) A system for selecting project(s) to install, similar to
selecting component(s) to install, would be provided.

We could then modify external project support (e.g. this would probably happen
first in Artichoke) to have a command like:

  ExternalProject_Install(<name> [DESTINATION <path>] [CPACK_COMPONENT
<component>])

...which would set both CMAKE_INSTALL_CMAKE_PROJECTS and, if a CPACK_COMPONENT
is specified, CPACK_INSTALL_CMAKE_PROJECTS.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change