[cmake-developers] cmake --help-custom-modules compatibility

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 8 12:00:56 EST 2014

On 2014-01-08 11:26, Brad King wrote:
> On 11/20/2013 07:22 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>>> The solution is still to re-implement the "--help-custom-modules myman.1"
>>> command-line behavior as a special case with warnings.  Alex and Steve
>>> will have to work out who takes responsibility for that.
>
> In order to more gracefully degrade behavior I've made this change:
>
>   cmake: Implement placeholder --help-custom-modules compatibility
>   http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=b1772946
>
> Now it generates the requested file without error but the content
> is just a placeholder explaining that the functionality was dropped.
> It still produces a warning of course.

Since you mentioned it, I was wondering if this is related to a feature
I was asking about, but I don't understand how it works; it seems to
only ever generate a short boilerplate text.

Is this meant to take a CMake module that is not part of the CMake
distribution and extract and format the documentation from the same?
Because that is a feature I really wish CMake 3.0 would provide. (I know
you (Brad) previously mentioned that you don't want to in order to avoid
committing to any sort of compatibility guarantees with respect to the
same. But it still seems to me that such decision makes it unnecessarily
hard for third parties to provide documented CMake modules.)

--
Matthew