[cmake-developers] cmake --help-custom-modules compatibility

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jan 8 11:26:48 EST 2014

On 11/20/2013 07:22 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> The solution is still to re-implement the "--help-custom-modules myman.1"
>> command-line behavior as a special case with warnings.  Alex and Steve
>> will have to work out who takes responsibility for that.
>
> I'll defer to Alex on doing that I think.

Alex, Steve, we need to resolve this compatibility issue soon
in preparation for the 3.0 release.  IIUC this KDE change:

 Only create and install man pages if using CMake < 3.0
 http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdelibs.git&a=commitdiff&h=804d3539

was needed to avoid breaking the build when --help-custom-modules
does not generate the manual page.  This means existing KDE
releases will not build successfully without this patch.

In order to more gracefully degrade behavior I've made this change:

 cmake: Implement placeholder --help-custom-modules compatibility
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=b1772946

Now it generates the requested file without error but the content
is just a placeholder explaining that the functionality was dropped.
It still produces a warning of course.

If you want CMake 3.0 to do anything better than this then
please work on the minimal re-implementation ASAP.  Much of
the logic can be extracted from old versions and refactored
into an isolated compatibility implementation.