[cmake-developers] VS10-12 generators deserve much more love

Dan Cristiu moonstorm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 06:22:12 EST 2014

I am not here to build merit. When myself and others start using find &
replace in the files generated by CMake, that should raise some concerns.
For people who have sent me private e-mails, I don't understand why you
don't express your frustrations on the mailing list. Apparently people here
believe everything is nice and dandy.

What I wrote in the previous e-mails weren't attempts to influence the
community or your design plans. Reason why I wrote such a big e-mail was to
make my intentions to contribute known and get some feedback and guidance.

Currently CMake offers a generator selection plus a completely separate and
hidden toolset setting. This is not natural for Visual Studio. If we want
to be even more specific, a VS solution can have a mixture of platforms and
toolsets, all defined per project, and they're very tightly coupled. A set
of hard-coded platforms, copied from generator to generator, will not cut
it for me I'm sorry. If the community and I have different minimum levels
of acceptance when it comes to maintenance and flexibility, then I can live
with a modified version of CMake in my own repository. Don't think anyone
though would be happy with having a separate CMake that works better for
Visual Studio.

Dan