[cmake-developers] VS10-12 generators deserve much more love

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 03:28:01 EST 2014

Dan Cristiu wrote:

> Wanted to add a simple change to the VS11 generator to support non-default
> toolsets,  but after taking another look through the code for the VS10
> generator and above, I decided I wasn't happy with the result. It shows
> those files have been the result of years of patches, with much of the
> code just copied and pasted.

I'm not interested in Visual Studio personally, but from reading the mailing
list and bug updates, where there is design discussion about those
generators, I think you have the wrong impression there.

As you are new here, I guess you have not been aware of those design
discussions.

The suggestion to put everything in the generator name is the exact opposite
direction to where the cmake design is going. You're not likely to have
success turning that around just by suggesting it, and without being
involved in (or even aware of) previous discussions.

Being new, you need to build merit in order to participate in a meritocracy.
I recommend reading/searching the mailing list archives or bug tracker
before making suggestions or conclusions about the code or design.