[cmake-developers] AddCustomCommandWithConfig

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 04:06:10 EST 2014

On 02/12/2014 06:25 PM, Steve Wilson wrote:
> On a side note, I am running out of time for contributing these patches back to the project.   I am spending more time responding to requests to re-order and change commit messages etc.. than I am changing the code (I am learning and will get it correct one day).   I understand that you want your repository history to be as correct as possible and am grateful that you care enough to try and help someone get up to speed.    I need to come to some kind of compromise here.   If you want these changes I am happy to contribute them, but I don’t have time to spend hours re-working things over and over.

I understand, but someone has to :). If it's not you, it's the reviewer.

> If that means it would be better to just contribute patches through email or some other format of code exchange I am happy to do that.    If you would like me to just file bug/feature requests, I can do that as well.     If you don’t want the changes (at least as I am able to provide them) then I can go back to maintaining my own fork of the sources.
>
> I’m not trying to complain or avoid meeting your standards, I’m just having to deal with time priorities that are not going to allow me to keep quibbling over these details.

I sympathize. The history really is important though. Familiarity with
git helps a lot.

I still don't know if you got an error message without posting it when
you tried to reset before, or whether you managed to reset your local
branch to the right point:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/9203/focus=9359

There is still the issue of the STATIC_LIBRARY handling. The small,
single-purpose commits paint it brightly. It shouldn't be difficult to
figure out. That's part of the reason that getting the commits and
history right is important - it is easier for review to find issues like
this.

Either way, if you don't figure it out, then I will have to, but then
you're on my schedule :).

There is still design work to do on the branch too, so if you still want
to work on that branch, take it up on that thread.