[cmake-developers] Volunteering to maintain a new module: FindGSL.cmake

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Dec 12 09:44:27 EST 2014

On 12/09/2014 05:56 PM, Thompson, KT wrote:
> I made both of these recommended changes.

Thanks.

> set( GSL_INCLUDE_DIRS ${GSL_INCLUDE_DIR} CACHE PATH "Location of GSL include directives." )
> set( GSL_LIBRARIES ${GSL_LIBRARY};${GSL_CBLAS_LIBRARY} CACHE PATH "GSL libraries." )

These values should not be cached.  They can be dropped from
the mark_as_advanced call too.  They are always re-computed from
the cached values that compose them.

Also please drop trailing whitespace from all source lines.

> How does cmake provide tests for modules like this?
> How is the correctness of the module checked before a release?
> Do you simply rely on release candidates?

Historically that is how it has been done.  However more recently
we've started adding tests for find modules.  See Tests/FindGTK2
for example.  It would be great to have tests come with this patch
for FindGSL.

There are two steps to adding tests for this module:

1. Add a Tests/FindGSL test.  Have Tests/CMakeLists.txt add the
   test if some option is enabled.

2. Set up a nightly dashboard submission using instructions here:

    http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git/Dashboard

   Install GSL on the dashboard machine so the test can run.
   Add a dashboard_cache setting to the dashboard script to set
   the option to enable the test.