[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015293]: FIND_LIBRARY not working consistently

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Mon Dec 8 11:26:09 EST 2014

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Gavriloaie Eugen-Andrei
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15293
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             2014-12-08 11:26 EST
Last Modified:              2014-12-08 11:26 EST
I have a cmake-based project and as part of it I need to build and install a 3rd
party library. For this purpose, I have created a shell script which builds and
install that library in a certain location. This 3rd party library is autohell
based (autotools, autoconf, etc).

Logical steps performed inside my cmake script are as follows:

1. Try to use FIND_PATH to locate the header files and FIND_LIBRARY to locate
the library. Tolerate the not-found errors at this step
2. If http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=1 fails, than I execute that
install script which properly installs the 3rd party lib in that location. I can
clearly see the headers and the libs under that target folder
3. execute http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=1 again, this time not
tolerating the errors. Now, FIND_PATH succeeded for the headers files but
FIND_LIBRARY fails. Again, the *.a is in place.

Further more, if I delete all intermediate files generated by cmake (leaving the
3rd party lib intact) and execute cmake again,
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=1 is a success.

I suspect that cmake somehow caches the result of FIND_LIBRARY at
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=1 and uses it directly at
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=3, without really doing any search

Steps to Reproduce:
I have attached the file which is doing the detect/install/detect-again steps

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change