[cmake-developers] How to get a nightly build process going.

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Sun Aug 31 10:43:37 EDT 2014

>  > I've got a UltraSPARC III machine with Solaris 10 that I just checked.
>
> Still chugging along I bet.

Some days yes, some days no.  The PSU shorted out and filled the server
room w/ smoke a few years ago.  It was slated for the trash but it seemed
like a shame to toss a neat old RISC box so I re-wired a scrap Dell PSU
onto the connector of the fried Sun PSU and that's kept it going for the
past 2 years.  Far from reliable though.

> > Try applying the attached patch if you're using SolarisStudio to fix the
> build problem.
>
> Ah yes .. that chestnut.  I have seen this in gettext also

It was a leftover from the cmakeify of liblzma.  It's actually not a
GCC-ism but a badly behaved suncc.  It seems that suncc on Solaris
intrinsically defines the type _Bool versus requiring stdbool.h.
Interestingly, suncc on Linux x64 doesn't.  The patch checks to see if it's
intrinsically defined to prevent redefinition.

I have tons, literally, of weird hardware around me. Including a few
> from the late 90's that are still running and that includes a DEC
> AlphaServer
> 4100 series. Not sure what to do with that.

A shame.  Alpha and PA-RISC have gone the way of the DoDo bird, i.e. long
since EOL'd architectures. It's tough to justify even the power cost of
keeping those running these days.

  However Sparc servers both old and new I have. Well, newish anyways.

Solaris 10 and 11 would be ideal, but whatever platform you can contribute
would be great!

> A big fat binary over 146MB in size. Staggering.

The re-distributable binaries are so huge because of static linking of
dependencies and included debug information. Dynamic linking and aggressive
LTO with dead code elimination would shrink the size *considerably* but
result in far less portable binaries, so not so suitable for redistribution.

> I will say that I do have a cmake binary however its test results are
> not pretty:

cmake --version will tell you what version you have.  2.8.4 or greater
should work for the dashboard builds.  If you use OpenCSW for 3rd party
packages then you can install the CSWcmake package to get 2.8.12, easily
new enough to drive the dashboard.  If you want to build from source
instead though, then you can see from last night's nightly dashboard:

Solaris 10 + SolarisStudio
http://open.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=3470493
No build failures, 4 test failures

Solaris 10 + GCC (from OpenCSW)
http://open.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=3470687
No build failures, 5 test failures

This is for the staging/next branch, which meant it should be in master
soon.

As for setting up the nightly build, you should be able to bootstrap and
build the current master with gcc.  Even if there's still some test
failures, you can use that cmake to drive the nightly build.

- Chuck