[cmake-developers] A type for static plugins?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 09:59:58 EDT 2013

Brad King wrote:

>> So the answer is, 'probably nothing'.
>
> In that case I do not think we can justify a special CMake
> target type for it.  All the special cases for STATIC_LIBRARY
> targets will have to be updated to also account for the new
> type with no difference in logic.

Another alternative would be for

 add_library(myplugin STATIC_MODULE foo.cpp)

be exactly equivalent to

 add_library(myplugin STATIC foo.cpp)
 set_property(TARGET myplugin PROPERTY STATICPLUGIN 1)

and document the STATICPLUGIN target property. Then I can use that in the
Qt5::Core INTERFACE_COMPILE_DEFINITIONS, and no handling of static libraries
in CMake would need to be extended for the new type. The cmAddLibraryCommand
would set the property.