[cmake-developers] Perforce Patch for CTest

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Oct 17 14:44:48 EDT 2013

On 10/17/2013 02:18 PM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> On 10/17/2013 1:52 PM, Pedro Navarro wrote:
>> Ok, I have the patch working and I'm going to send it soon. One
>> question, is it possible to launch a detached process from within CMake?
>> If I use EXECUTE_PROCESS to start p4d, CMake waits for it to finish so
>> -for now- I'm launching the Perforce daemon outside CMake.
>>
> It is not possible to do this.  One work around is to put the start of
> the process in a shell script or bat file that is used to run the ctest
> script which is basically what you are doing.  :)

If this is restricted to a UNIX-like environment one can use a shell
script that internally executes a background job, e.g.

 execute_process(COMMAND sh -c "nohup p4d >/dev/null 2>&1 &")

Actually the internal KWSys Process library used to implement the
execute_process command does know how to create and disown daemon
processes.  If necessary one could teach execute_process options to
trigger this behavior.

In either case there is no clear way to terminate the daemon when
the test is done.